Your eyelids play a huge role in your eye health. In fact, the act of blinking has a variety of benefits. It can help flush out debris, keep your eyes lubricated, supply oxygen to your corneas, and even help your brain get a refresh. However, eyelid drooping can impact the role of your eyelids when it comes to your overall eye health. Below you will find more information on how droopy eyelids can affect vision and what treatments options are available to address the issue.
How Droopy Eyelids Can Affect Vision
Droopy eyelids can make you look aged and tired. Still, they can also have an impact on your vision. While the cosmetic reasons alone are enough to address the issue, it’s even more important to address droopy eyelids if your vision is impacted. Below are some of the common complications droopy eyelids can cause in addition to impairing your vision.
- Neck issues due to tilting one’s head back to see ahead of you
- Eye pain
- Dry or watery eyes
- Inability to drive (due to vision issues)
- Headaches or migraines (due to constant forehead muscle contraction)
- Difficulty reading
Causes of Droopy Eyelids
Drooping eyelids can be caused by a variety of factors. Certain lifestyle factors and the impact of natural aging can impact your eyelids. Below are some of the common causes of eyelid drooping.
- Sun Exposure: Sun exposure negatively impacts your skin and can cause issues such as fine lines, wrinkles, and skin sagging. Because the skin around your eyes is much thinner and more delicate than the skin on the rest of your body and face, it can cause droopy eyelids. Wearing SPF daily can help reduce the impacts of sun exposure on your face.
- Age: Due to the impacts of aging, issues such as fine lines, wrinkles, and skin sagging can impact your face. While you cannot stop the aging process, you can help slow it down. A healthy diet, regular exercise, consistent sleep, and an effective skincare routine can help keep your skin in good shape.
- Smoking: Smoking is harmful to the health of your skin and your overall health. The protective proteins in your skin, specifically collagen and elastin, are damaged when you smoke. When your skin’s collagen and elastin are damaged it can result in eyelid sagging.
Treatment for Droopy Eyelids
Ptosis surgery in Temecula is the most effective treatment option for droopy eyelids. The procedure improves the position of your eyelid, rejuvenates your appearance, and can restore any vision loss due to your droopy eyelids. The procedure is short as it lasts just 30 minutes to an hour. It is a minimally invasive procedure that often only requires local anesthesia. The method of the procedure depends on your unique needs and the extent to which your eyelid droops. This will be discussed at your consultation to prepare you on the day of your procedure.
The recovery process is short as you should be back to your daily routine within one to two weeks. You will likely experience some bruising and swelling, which is completely normal and should subside within one to two weeks. During your recovery period it is crucial to follow your post-procedure instructions. You will also need to attend a follow up appointment to ensure your recovery is on track. While you will see results immediately, it takes a few months for your final results to shine through.
Eyelid Surgery in Corona
If your vision is impaired due to droopy eyelids, contact Infocus Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery. Droopy eyelids can have an impact on your vision and can also impact your overall physical aesthetic. Eyelid surgery in Corona can help with both issues and get you back to feeling like yourself again. Contact the team at Infocus Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery today for a consultation!